Knowledge of Vital Points or Kyusho is
essential in both understanding the more complex interpretation of Kata
and in dealing with more powerful opponents in life threatening situations.
In short, a vital point is that part of a body
which, when struck with sufficient force, angle and accuracy, can render the
opponent incapacitated, unconscious or even dead. Many explanations exist to
describe the effect, from Eastern philosophies, to Western science. The
important point however is the drastic effect on the nervous system which, if
improperly praticed, can lead to headaches, nausea, unconsciousness or worse. It
is therefore, strongly advised that interested Karate-Ka seek expert tuition
from Masters such as Sensei Rick Clark and alike in order to learn the
safety aspects and the physical instruction needed to effect the information
Vital points should never be used against people over 40 years of age,
people with heart disease, on drugs or medication or, if in doubt, at all!
This information is intended to improve your knowledge and is not meant to
be used without the supervision of a qualified instructor. We take no
responsibility for the use of information found here.
Jodan Kyusho (Upper Body Vital Points)
- Tendo (Crown of the Head):
This covers the region from the top of the head to the back of the neck.
Shuto, Tsuki or Tetsui are particularly effective in this area.
- Tento (Area between Crown and
Forehead): Attacks made
with hand techniques of potentially lethal effect.
- Komekami (Temple):
Clearly lethal region particularly susceptible to Tsuki or Ippon Ken.
- Mimi (Ears):
Big sensation acheived by attacking both ears with cupped hands.
- Miken(Bridge of the Nose):
Potentially lethal by striking the nose with Teisho or Tsuki.
- Seidon (Area Above and Below the
Eyes): Vunerable to attack
from most Te-Waza.
- Gansei (Eyeballs):
Can be hit using Ippon Nukite, Ippon Ken etc.
- Jinchu (Region Below the Nose):Good
point for most Te-Waza.
- Gekon (Below Lower Lip):Similarly
vunerable to good Te-Waza.
- Mikazuki (Jaw):Particularly
effective when struck with Empi or Hiji-Ate.
- Dokko (Behind the Ears):Mastoid
Process: Susceptible to any point strike (i.e. Ippon Ken, Ippon Nukite etc).
- Keichu (Nape of Neck):Again,
vunerable to most Te-Waza.
Chudan Kyusho (Middle Body Vital
- Shofu (Side of Neck):
- Sonu (Base of Throat):
- Hichu (Adam's Apple):
- Danchu (Sternum):
- Kyototsu (Base of Sternum):
- Suigetsu (Solar-Plexus):
- Kyoei (Below the Armpits):
- Ganchu (Below the Nipples):
- Denko (Between 7th and 8th Ribs):
- Inazuma (Side, Above Hips):
- Myojo (Below Navel):
- Soda (Between Shoulder Blades):
- Katsusatsu (Between 5th and 6th
- Kodenko (Base of Spine):
- Wanshun (Tricep):
- Hijizume (Elbow Joint):
- Udekansetsu (Arm Joint):
- Kote (Wrist):
- Uchijakuzawa/Miyakudokoro (Inside
Forearm at Pulse):
- Sotojakuzawa (Wrist Edge Above
- Shuko (Back of the Hand):
Gedan Kyusho (Lower Body Vital Points)
- Kinteki (Testicles):
- Yako (Inside Upper Thigh):
- Fukuto (Outside Lower Thigh):
- Hizakansetsu (Knee Joint):
- Kokotsu (Inside Shin):
- Uchikurobushi (Inside Ankle
- Kori (Instep):
- Kusagakure (Outside Top Edge of
- Bitei (Coccyx):
- Ushiro-Inazuma (Below Buttocks):
- Sobi (Base of Calf):